Service pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2013 was initially released by Microsoft in February this year. However, it was withdrawn early in April when some users experienced problems getting updates after applying the service pack.
SharePoint Service Pack 1 was re-released on 22 April by Microsoft. It provides all the latest updates for SharePoint Server 2013.
Service Pack Fixes
The re-released SharePoint Service Pack 1 includes the following fixes:-
- General product fixes.
- Improvements in stability, performance and security.
- Inclusion of all the previous cumulative security updates.
- Resolution of an issue experienced by a number of users with a missing search box.
Service Pack Improvements
The following are the major improvements offered by SharePoint Service Pack 1:-
- Compatibility with Windows Server 2012 R2. To achieve this however, you need to re-install the full product from media.
- Improvement in compatibility with Internet Explorer 11.
- Enables on-premises users of SharePoint to connect to OneDrive for Business to facilitate cloud-based storage of data.
- Incorporates a new setting which allows connections to be set to Yammer instead of the SharePoint social newsfeed.
How to update the Service Pack
If you had previously installed the service pack for SharePoint 2013, Microsoft advises that you download the updated SharePoint Service Pack 1 and install it over the existing one.